Italian sausage in a creamy tomato sauce nestled into squash halves makes for a cozy meal just about a chilly frosty evening. This recipe works next either butternut or delicata squash. Delicata squash is delicious, but its hard to locate outside the end months.
The ingredient of Creamy Sausage-Stuffed Butternut or Delicata Squash
- 2 butternut squash or delicata squash, medium
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage removed from casings
- 1/2 onion medium, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz. per can
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup muggy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
The instruction how to make Creamy Sausage-Stuffed Butternut or Delicata Squash
- Preheat the oven to 400u00b0F.
- Cut the rough ends from the squash. With a sharp knife, slice the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove the seedy internal cavity from each squash half. Arrange the halves cut-side down onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast the squash for 40-45 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, until it is fork-tender. While the squash bakes, prepare the creamy sausage filling.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat and pour in the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the sausage and diced onion. Saute for 6-7 minutes, breaking up the meat with a rubber spatula as it cooks, until it is browned and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 30 seconds longer, until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour the diced tomatoes into the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to bubble and the liquid has reduced slightly. Add the heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese and stir. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until the cream is gently bubbling. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the squash halves so they are cut-side up. Divide the sausage mixture evenly between each squash half, gently packing it into the center cavity. Divide the shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over each mound of filling.
- Return the baking sheet to the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 11-14 minutes, until the cheese is melted and lightly golden.
- Check to see that squash is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Transfer the squash halves to serving plates and enjoy immediately.