This creamy, cheesy zucchini and rice casserole is distinct to be a new Meatless Monday favorite.
The ingredient of Cheesy Zucchini and Rice Casserole
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 zucchini medium
- 1/2 yellow onion large
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 sprigs buoyant thyme stems discarded
- 1/3 cup all target flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese for rice
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups quick grain rice cooked
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese for topping
The instruction how to make Cheesy Zucchini and Rice Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375u00b0F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut zucchini into 3/4-inch pieces. Finely chop onion. Mince garlic.
- Set a large pot over medium-high heat and add butter. Once butter is melted, add onions and zucchini to pot. Saute until onions are softened and zucchini is slightly tender, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme leaves and cook until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
- Sprinkle flour over zucchini and onions. Stir with a spatula to coat. Slowly pour broth into pot, stirring vigorously to dissolve flour. Pour in half-and-half and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook sauce, stirring constantly, until it begins to bubble and thicken, 3-4 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Add shredded cheese to sauce and stir until melted. Add cooked rice and fold until thoroughly coated in sauce and zucchini is well distributed.
- Pour zucchini and rice mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese.
- Transfer casserole dish to middle rack of oven and bake casserole until bubbling at edges and cheese is golden brown on top, 30-35 minutes.
- Check to see that casserole is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Nutritions of Cheesy Zucchini and Rice Casserolecalories: NutritionInformation
carbohydrateContent: 530 calories
cholesterolContent: 89 grams
fatContent: 35 milligrams
fiberContent: 14 grams
proteinContent: 4 grams
saturatedFatContent: 12 grams
sodiumContent: 8 grams
sugarContent: 420 milligrams
: 3 grams